This documentary, in the form of a satellite map, examines the Cities of the Dead and the weird ways we paid respect to our dead. These places are either heaven or hell depending on how one lived his or her life. These are the necropolises, cemeteries and other mass burial sites that represent how mankind showed its respect, or lack of respect, for its dead. With this map you can zoom in on the some of the oldest, and some of the largest. Some are fascinating, others represented a pure state of nirvana, while others are just plain creepy. For example, south of the former city gate (the “Barrière d’Enfer”), the ossuary holds the remains of about six million people in what are remains of Paris’s stone mines. Others contain only royalty and the elite.
The locations plotted in this map were obtained from the following sources:
• Wikipedia’s List of Necropolis • BBC Travel’s article “Exploring the History of Catacombs” • Wikipedia’s page on Mass Graves
AttributionGeorge Stiller, MyReadingMapped™
Map: Cities of the Dead - Heaven or Hell by George Stiller and Jim Lee is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Based on a work at climateviewer.org/. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at climateviewer.com/terms.
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
- Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.