This documentary, in the form of a satellite map, is the first in a 5-part series of maps that cover fossil sites worldwide. This map traces the African fossil site locations known for the presence of human or animal fossils, or both. Included in this map are the fossil sites of the Hadar Formation where three million year old Lucy was discovered, Olduvai Gorge, South Africa’s West Coast Fossil Park, and the Cradle of Humankind.
The locations were determined by the following sources:
- Wikipedia’s list of fossil sites
- UNESCO World Heritage Center
- Universita Di Roma
- Many of the locations were found by simply doing an image search for a map.
AttributionGeorge Stiller, MyReadingMapped™
Map: Fossil Sites in Africa (A Paleontology Primer) by George Stiller and Jim Lee is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Based on a work at climateviewer.org/. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at climateviewer.com/terms.
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
- Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.