It has been reported in The Nation article Figuring Out Why 93 Million People Didn’t Vote, that as many as 43% of the registered voters did not vote in the 2016 Presidential Election; resulting in a minority of base Republican voters electing Donald Trump as president. Each year we are bombarded with maps of red and blue states representing the two-party system. But we are never shown a map representing all the other voters who are expected to vote for either party while being marginalized. According to the Gallup poll article Americans’ Identification as Independents Back Up in 2017, 42% of registered voters registered as Independent, making them the largest voting block.
The intent of this map is to show, in those states that make the data available, where and what percent are outside the two-party system Gallup considers either left or right leaning rather than centrists.
Keyhole Markup Language (Google Earth KML)
AttributionGeorge Stiller, MyReadingMapped™
Map: Independent & Unaffiliated Registered Voters By State by George Stiller and Jim Lee is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Based on a work at climateviewer.org/. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at climateviewer.com/terms.
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
- Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.