This documentary, in the form of a satellite map, plots the settlement of Native peoples in remote Alaska. In a sense it is an analysis of where people chose to live, or not to live, in order to survive the harsh conditions of the Alaskan taiga. According to the 2010 U.S. census, Native American settlements represent 14.8% of Alaska’s population of 710,231. The intent of this map is to show you how expansive the settlement of Native Americans in Alaska is compared to other areas of the United States. According to the Bureau of Indian Affairs, “the Alaska Region encompasses a dynamic and diverse mix of Tribes, Tribal organizations and natural features. With the exception of the Annette Island Reserve, which falls under the Northwest Region, the entire state of Alaska falls under the jurisdiction of the Alaska Region. The nearly 80,000 Tribal members that make up the 229 Tribes under the Alaska Region jurisdiction…” The sources this map is based on include the National Council of State Legislatures (NCSL) List of Federally Recognized Tribes, the 2010 U.S. Census / Census Designated Places, and Wikipedia / Demographics of Alaska / U.S. Census.
AttributionGeorge Stiller, MyReadingMapped™
Map: Native American Settlement in Alaska by George Stiller and Jim Lee is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Based on a work at climateviewer.org/. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at climateviewer.com/terms.
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
- Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.