This documentary, in the form of a satellite map, traces one the greatest migrations in U.S. history over the 2,000 mile Oregon Trail and its California Trail and Mormon Trail offshoots between 1834 and 1867. In addition, I plotted any alternate route cutoffs and included the many native tribe territories the trail passed through. By activating the 3D terrain mode, and using the compass to rotate and see the horizon, you can view the map with mountains that you can zoom in on in order to understand the rugged biomes these migrants traversed in a horse-driven wagon. Each trail and alternate route is color-coded to make it easy to understand.
The plotted locations were determined by the following:
• U.S. National Park Service map • Wikipedia’s web page on the Oregon Trail
AttributionGeorge Stiller, MyReadingMapped™
Map: The Oregon, California and Mormon Trails by George Stiller and Jim Lee is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Based on a work at climateviewer.org/. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at climateviewer.com/terms.
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
- Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.