In this documentary, in the form of a satellite map, is part of a series of maps on this site that trace the history of rail accidents worldwide and the growth of railroads. In this map you can trace 20 years of railroad history from 1930 up to 1949. These are Wikipedia linked stories of tornado wrecks, tidal wave wipe outs, bombings, human error, mechanical failures, fate, tragedy, sacrifice and of course destruction. These are stories of trains plunging into rivers, crashing down mountain sides, wiping out train stations, death and miraculous survival.
Train wreck locations are determined by coordinates provided by:
• Wikipedia’s List of Rail Accidents • Online searches of new articles
AttributionGeorge Stiller, MyReadingMapped™
Map: Great Train Wrecks (2010-2014) by George Stiller and Jim Lee is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Based on a work at climateviewer.org/. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at climateviewer.com/terms.
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
- Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.